Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Rosie Project August 1, 2016

If I could write ((I can't) I wish I was clever enough to write one like this. With tongue firmly in cheek, this author Gives us a combination  of the Big Bang Theory and Auntie Mame. It's clever and devious and a delight to read.

I started it with a chip on my shoulder. I don't like romance novels as a rule and the title "Rosie" put me off. Within two pages I was hooked. It's much more than a romance novel.

The primary character is Don, a hard to believe over educated and  brilliant  mis-fit in society. Rosie turns out to be his sad sack Lucille Ball homeless type who works in a gay bar at odd hours and pursues he unidentified father during regular hours. To dd a twinkle, the author has given Rosie and unusually high IQ and a Masters Degree, and she is working on her phd as we speak.

Complicating the flow is Don's similar quest for the unknown. A nerd and a twerp since birth, he was subjected to ridicule from the start  in school so he became an expert in marital arts and handle any bully.

With an extremely high intelligence and ridiculous clothing,  he went through the world without truly seeing anyone else. They flew under his notice. Completely inept in any social situation leads to a disturbingly focused lifestyle. That is, before he met Rosie.

So we have a set of parallel stories that intertwine just a little and essentially make the book into a mystery rather than a romance. The Father Project (hers) and The Wife Project (his) are both hilarious.

There is a deeper side to the book involving Autism and other mental conditions.  I wouldn't say that the book answers questions about them. but it does present an engaging picture of personalities so afflicted.

A good book.

dw

No comments:

Post a Comment